Thursday, October 21, 2010

6 weeks

 "Babies are amazing!"

Yesterday Tom met me at my doctor's office. I had an ultrasound scheduled.
The first thing the tech said was that I looked like I was only 5 weeks pregnant. My heart sank. I expected to be a couple weeks later than that, so I figured the pregnancy had stopped. Been there before.
So after a few measurements, she told me she wanted to do an internal ultrasound. She let me visit the restroom first. As soon as I shut the door, I cried. Too many emotions going through me. I went back in the room expecting the worst. The tech started doing more measurements and asked me to be very still. After a couple of minutes she turned the screen towards me and Tom. "There's your baby's heartbeat." And there on the screen was our baby. The size of a grain of rice with an amazing heartbeat. The tech handed me a picture and said "Congratulations!"
Tom and I just looked at each other. When the tech left the room Tom told me that if he had ever questioned this child, the look on my face when I thought we had miscarried made him realize just how much we need this baby to be ok.
We went back to the waiting room to wait for our appointment with my doctor. We got out our calendars. We were puzzled at the timing. How could this be? Only 5 - 6 weeks?
When we got into the room with my doctor, we talked to him about the date. He said 2 things. First, the possibility that our baby wasn't growing. Second, we were wrong about when we got pregnant. (Which we did figure out how we could have gotten that wrong. Nursing a child can really throw your cycle way off! In fact, when we took that first test, we really might not have been pregnant yet.)
So next week we are going back for another ultrasound to see if our baby has grown.

6 weeks - my heart is beating


No comments:

Post a Comment