Friday, April 29, 2011

The Royal Wedding

"True love stories never have endings."

I really didn't have any desire to watch the wedding of Prince William and (now Princess) Kate. Kate seems very sweet and she is absolutely beautiful, but I just didn't feel the need to watch it.
Then I turned on the tv with my 8 year old daughter sitting next to me.
She asked me what was going on. I explained to her that it was a wedding of a real prince and princess. Rachel's little brown eyes got huge and she got very excited at the thought that this girl was about to be a real live princess. Well, that got me a little excited.
On the corner of the screen was a "countdown to the kiss" clock. I told Rachel we had 12 minutes until the couple came out as prince and princess and they were going to kiss. Rachel yelled to her brother, Noah what was going on. They both hurried up to grab something for breakfast - they chose croissants. They asked me to tell them when there were 2 minutes left.
Then the time came. Sarah and Jacob had joined us on the couch and we all watched the new couple walk out and kiss.
(Leah was still asleep so I recorded it for her.)
I'll admit - It was an amazing moment.
Soon after, Rachel was getting her shoes on for school and saying "Princess Rachel. Princess Rachel. I think Princess Kate sounds prettier, but maybe princess Rachel sounds nice too."
I'm glad I watched it with our children - especially Rachel.
Through her eyes I found the "magic" of the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment