Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Cameron's Eyes

"I'm no leader. I do what I have to do. Sometimes people go with me."

We had a great weekend!
My "oldest" friend came to visit. We've been friends since 1st grade.
We've been through a lot together and it's amazing to now see our children hanging out together.

Our church's annual mass/picnic in the park was this weekend too.
Beautiful day!
The weather was perfect.
Our children had a lot of fun and we all ate very well.
A little "Noah-ism."
During mass our 9 yr old son Noah asked who was stronger, God or Zeus.
We told our priest that Noah was wondering about this.
He said that that was normal when a child is just learning about mythology.
I just smiled and said Yea...he's not.
Then we all laughed because sometimes it's just amazing what pops into Noah's head.

I am still in search of an eye doctor for Cameron.
I feel uncomfortable with the office we go to now.
I understand that what Cam has going on in his eyes is rare, but I feel we are wasting our time and money.
The doctor wants to see Cam every 2 to 3 weeks. And we spend more time in the waiting room than in the office with the doctor. The doctor peeks in Cam's eyes, says all looks good, then sends us home. When I ask a question - she doesn't seem to hear me. And when she does, her info is just what she has found on the internet. And some of her info is different than what I have read on the internet.
She did mention something about a blockage that could happen. She gave us drops to put in Cam's eyes if it should happen. All she said was that his eye would become very red and he would be in a lot of pain - put the drops in and call the office.
I would like a little more explanation than that.
I haven't been able to find any information about a "blockage" happening.

We just don't feel like we are getting the care our son needs.
We aren't getting any new information when we go in - no time is given to us for questions and answers.
So Tom and I decided that we would at least see if we can come in less often.
I am the one that saw the cysts first and I've been keeping my eye on them since Cam was born. I don't see any change.
I called and had to leave a message. I just said I'd like to cancel our next appointment and reschedule for when Cam is around 3 months old - the age the doctor said we could check Cam's vision.
I didn't hear anything so I called back to make sure they got my message.
The receptionist told me that Cam's file was put aside so they could ask the doctor if it was ok I was canceling the appointment.
Huh?
Later my doctor's assistant called me back. I told her what I was feeling and why I wanted to push the appointment back another month.
Wow! Did I get an earful of fear and guilt.
She said things about how this is my child, this is his vision, we don't know what is going to happen,....but it was totally up to me if I wanted to change the appointment date. I really shouldn't wait longer than 4 weeks though.
I went ahead and made the appointment for 4 weeks later.
Then I asked about my other children.
The doctor wants to see our other children's eyes - curiosity.
She has seen our boys (Brandon has the same thing, which I already told her) and now she had asked me if I was willing to bring our girls along. I asked if I should still bring my girls. The receptionist said yes if that is what the doctor wanted. Then she said I can give you the 9:00 and 9:15 appointments.
I asked if I'd be paying for the 2nd appointment too.
Yes.
Well, then no.
I again explained that this was a request from the doctor. I already brought all my boys in and wasn't charged.
The receptionist is not a very friendly lady. We clashed a little.
I was given back to the assistant.
The assistant told me that I can bring in my girls, but they will only be peeked at - no dilation, no vision check,...
I said, I know.
And after this lovely phone call I was thinking - what exactly am I being charged for when I bring Cameron in.
Are his eyes dilated? No.
Is his vision checked? No.
His eyes are peeked at and we are sent home. Hmmm....

I did find an old article online about cysts. I googled the name of the doctor who wrote it and found an office in NY he was associated with.
I emailed the office and a very kind doctor replied back to me.
I am hoping he will have some answers for me.
After talking to our eye doctor's assistant, I am filled with all the initial fears I had when Cam was born. I have so many unanswered questions.
But I am also filled with more strength and confidence.
I am learning more about Cameron's eyes on my own.
I only want what is best for Cameron and to find the correct answers,
even if it means going out of my "comfort zone."
I now know more of what I need and want for Cameron when it comes to finding him help.
I pray we find the right doctor for Cameron.
That is what is most important to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment