Monday, June 13, 2011

Baby Cameron James

My day old child lay in my arms with my lips pressed against his ear.
I whispered softly, "How I wish, I wish that you could hear.
 I've a hundred things to say (a tiny cough and nod.)
 Hurry, hurry, hurry and grow so I can teach you about God!"
 My day old child was still and my words only tickled his ear,
but a kind of light passed through his eyes, and I saw this thought appear.
"How I wish I had a voice and words, I've a hundred things to say.
Before I forget, I'd tell you about God, I left Him yesterday..."

Mommy & Cameron ready to go home from the hospital.

Our family has been blessed with the birth of
Cameron James
Born on June 10, 2011 at 1:39pm
Weight: 7 lbs 12 oz
Length: 19 1/2 inches
Beautiful.

Tom and I went to the hospital at 7:15 am on Friday.
The nurses got me all set up then my doctor came in to check me.
The funny thing was, when my doctor walked in Tom and I were both on our phones texting family and friends. We did a lot of texting and facebooking during this birth :o) It made the time go by quicker and there was a bet that included the naming of our child that was making us laugh and smile.
(Thank goodness Tommy won the bet!)
Anyways, so I was checked and told I was almost 4 cm and baby was down. My doctor broke my water and gave the go ahead to start the pitocin.
We started slowly.
I had a really big contraction and decided that I didn't want to wait too long for the epidural. My nurse called the anesthesiologist and was told that it would be about 30 minutes before he would be done in the OR.
I could handle this. I actually wanted to feel a few contractions because I knew that was what was going to get our baby moving.
When the anesthesiologist came to my room, Tommy had to leave. They don't allow fathers to stay in the room, so it was a good time for Tom to go get something for breakfast.
This doctor was wonderful! He loved that this was our 8th child. He wanted to know how we get our kids to do chores and just what it was like to have so many children. He was very kind and chatty - put me at ease.
After the epidural was in place, Tom came back in. We thought I would go quickly, but the next time I was checked - no change.
Then my nurse put the catheter in (since I couldn't get up anymore) and she said that I was so full that that was probably stopping baby from moving down further.
Around 1:15 I was checked and was only at 5 cm. I was frustrated.
Plus, the epidural was not working on the bottom half of my tummy area. I started feeling the contractions again. The anesthesiologist came back in to up the dose. It was a little better, but I still knew when I was having a contraction. The doctor and nurse both told Tom he should go get something to eat before the cafeteria stopped serving food. I told Tom to go ahead.
Jokingly I said it would probably get the labor going.
But then seriously I said it was a good time for him to eat. I was only 5 cm and had been dialating very slowly.
Dr. left the room, Tom left the room, then my nurse left telling me to call her if I felt pressure. Soon there was another contraction.
This one hurt! I put my face into my pillow and cried. When it was over, I pushed my epidural button to get more medicine. Then another contraction came and again I cried into my pillow. When that one was over I pushed the button and cried into the intercom that my epidural was not working at all. My nurse came in right away to find me crying through another. She was very surprised! Probably because Tom and I had been joking around with her and the doctors all day. I had been smiling and laughing and everything had been easy-going.
Not anymore.
She said she would call the anesthesiologist, but wanted to check me first.
She was checking me then asked (with a little bit of panic in her voice) "Does Tom have his phone? You are ready and baby is right there!"
I grabbed my phone to text Tom while the nurse called my OB.
At 1:30 I texted Tom to come to our room now!
At 1:31 Tom texted he was on his way!
He had just gotten his sandwich. He had taken a couple of bites then threw it away as he rushed to our room.
I did my best to get through a couple more contractions. Soon Tom was rushing in and then I heard a different OB come in.
The practice I go to has 2 doctors. This was the other doctor. The one I was expecting and had been seeing all day was "stuck" in the OR with this doctor, but this one was able to leave. I didn't really care. Both are great doctors and I have delivered babies with both of them before.
Tom came up to me and was trying to help me calm down. He was smiling at me and telling me to breathe and that it was going to be ok.
Doctor told me to push with the next contraction and out came our baby's little head. I was told to give another easy push and out came the rest of our baby.
I remember being in incredible pain, but also being excited to find out if our baby was a boy or a girl. That is honestly what gave me the energy to push.
Soon I heard "It's a boy!" come from Tommy.
I looked and saw our beautiful blonde (& some red hair too) son.
He came out screaming! He came out hungry!

We are now home and Cameron has been given lots of attention and love. I think Jacob thinks we had Cameron just for him. He wants to hold him all the time. He pushes his older brothers and sisters away from Cameron when he is holding him.
He'll even just sit next to his baby brother with his arm around him. Jakey can't get enough of Cam.
Cameron fits right in.

No comments:

Post a Comment