Monday, June 20, 2011

10 days old

"Every tomorrow has two handles.
We can take hold of it by the handle of anxiety, or by the handle of faith."

Cameron is 10 days old.
He is a very good baby. He wakes up every couple of hours to eat, but then goes right back to sleep.
He is very cuddley. Loves to be held - and goodness knows he gets a lot of that in this home. The girls are always running into the bathroom to wash their hands then they run up to me with their arms stretched out to hold Cam.
Jakey sits next to me and pats his lap to say "put him right here." It's the cutest thing. And our older boys are always coming up and saying "Hey CJ!" and giving him a kiss on the top of his head. I love how Cameron is just one of the family now.
The biggest change - and I mean biggest - is our new family vehicle.
I gave in and we got a 12-passenger van.
Though I should say that Tommy gave in too. He was very kind to me and gave up his car instead of trading in our mini-van. In the end, it just made more sense. His car had lots of miles and was due for some expensive maintenance. And if we wanted to go somewhere with more than 2 younger children, we'd have to take the monster van.
So we are a 2 van family now. No more even trying to look "cool."

There is one concern with Cameron.
The moment he was born, I saw something in his eyes.
I tried to point it out to the doctors right then, but no one else could see it.
The next day when the pediatrician came in, I told her and kind of begged for an eye doctor to come look at Cam. I explained that I had worried about his eyes all night and needed someone to tell me what I was seeing.
A very kind eye doctor from the hospital came in that afternoon.
Cameron has cysts in his eyes. 3 in one eye and 6 in the other.
It is rare to have so many.
So far, it seems as though Cameron can still see with both of his eyes.
His eyes look very healthy.
We took Cam and our oldest, Brandon to the doctor last week when Cam was 1 week old. I had mentioned to the eye doctor that I saw something on Brandon's eye when he was a baby, but no one else saw it. She wanted to look. And yes, Brandon has one.
The good thing is, it's never caused him any problems. It's never grown.
She looked at my eyes and Tom's eyes. Nothing was seen on me, but she saw something on Tom that might have been one that "broke loose" at some point.
She said that she read that it can be hereditary and is mainly in males.
I believe this eye doctor is learning right along with us. Everything she was telling us was something she had found on the internet.
So we will continue to watch Cam's eyes and to pray that these cysts don't cause him any problems. We would love if they would shrink and/or go away on their own. This week I am taking Cameron in again and bringing along our other 3 sons. The eye doctor is curious to see if they have any cysts too.
Otherwise, all is fine. And we have faith that all will continue to be fine.

Today Tommy went back to work and my parents are going back to their home.
Right now it is storming outside and it is peaceful inside.
Jacob is alseep next to me in my bed.
Cameron is on the other side of me in his cradle - starting to stir a little.
Let the day begin.
The "Sherman8ors"

No comments:

Post a Comment