Monday, February 7, 2011

Can't Control Others

"We cannot control the evil tongues of others; but a good life enables us to disregard them."

Wow! First of all, I think I have about 90 posts - but over 2000 views! Amazing. I started writing this blog for myself and for my family. I like the idea of our children reading this as they get older and I love to look back on what we were doing a year ago or just last month :o)
I am feeling our baby move more and more each day. Still amazes me that there is a little person growing inside of me. And I can honestly say that even though we might not have "planned" to have 8 children - each one was definitely "made" from love. Love from God and for God. Love between my husband and me. I know many can't understand having this many children, but to us they are not a number. They are our children and each very deserving of life and love. When I am hugging our children, I can truly picture God smiling down on me.
Why did I put this particular quote on the top? Well, because I know for a fact that there are a few that love to gossip about my family. Say hurtful things about one or more of our children, make judgement on how big our family is,...The few comments I heard this morning made me sit and cry. To my face these people seem kind. They smile, ask how we are,...but the knife goes in as my back is turned. I guess some feel the need to focus on others rather than on themselves - or maybe they are so bored they need to gossip. Well let me say that whoever gossips to you - will gossip about you.
(And really, adults shouldn't talk about or name-call a child. I think that's what bothered me the most. This person doesn't even know what our child is going through. Shame on this adult.)
So after crying to my husband over the phone, I felt a little better. He reminded me of what this quote is saying. We can't control others. A family our size is rare around here and we need to just continue to be the good, kind people that we are and not worry about those who want to talk badly about us. He so perfectly said to me, "I'm sure it's not personal. How can it be? None of them really know us."
We should all keep in mind that one day we will each be on our own. We will each be judged and have to answer for ourselves on what we have done and what we have said during our life here on Earth. We should live the best life we can. And to quote Mother Teresa, "Let no one ever leave you without feeling better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness: kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile."

No comments:

Post a Comment