Monday, February 21, 2011

4 Day Weekend

"Other things may change us, but we start and end with family."

Our 4 day weekend is almost over (only 2 days for Tom.) It's been very productive. Tommy and I spent the weekend looking for a new mattress and flooring for the kitchen. Wednesday our new bed will be delivered - and tonight Tom will continue to lay our new kitchen floor that he started yesterday. It makes such a difference already. When we bought our home we didn't upgrade any of the flooring because we figured we would change it ourselves within the first couple of years. We also only had 2 of our children when we signed the papers to have our home built. Little did we know...
Saving up for new flooring has been put on the back burner several times.
I have finally admitted to myself that I am exhausted!!! Taking care of 7 children while pregnant is hard at times. I wouldn't change it for anything in the world, but wish the housework didn't need to be done daily too. And who wanted a house with stairs? Our last home didn't have stairs - of course, while pregnant with Brandon we lived in a 3rd floor apartment with no elevator. Unloading groceries was quite the workout.
The one big difference I have noticed this pregnancy is how I feel with each Braxton. With previous pregnancies I would feel a little nervous with each "practice contraction." I would remember the pain that comes along with giving birth. This time, I feel a little excited with each one. The first moment you see and hold your new baby is so amazing, so special. Even during the first trimester when I felt nauseous and miserable, Tom had to remind me that I felt that way with my other pregnancies too. I guess it's a good thing I don't remember the negative parts of all this. I believe it helps that our children have all been very supportive and happy about a new brother or sister.
Many people we know are just finding out about our newest addition. There is no way to hide my growing belly now.
It's helped that it is Winter and I tend to "hibernate." Also, when we are out, I have a big coat on that covers up my pregnancy.
There are a few people who I know will roll their eyes or make a hurtful comment. I've even found myself trying to suck in my tummy when bumping into some of them. But I have had positive support from the people we have chosen to know our special "secret."
I did meet a woman at church the other day. She said she watches my family at mass and told me that my children are beautiful. She looked me in the eye and told me that she was proud of me. She is around my age and is a mother of 5. She said she knows from experience that not everyone sees big families as a good thing. She is proud that my husband and I are open to accepting God's gifts.
We try to be a good example of a loving family :o) 
One of my favorite quotes: "Preach the Gospel always. When necessary, use words."


2 comments:

  1. I wish the housework didn't need to be daily too.

    Isn't that the truth! I just offered a prayer to St Gerard for you...congratulations on #7.

    I'm a new follower from Catholic Mothers Online…come by for a visit and return the favor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenny! I will come visit.
    By the way... we are expecting #8 :o)
    Prayers are appreciated. I wear my St. Gerard Medal around my neck.

    ReplyDelete