Friday, March 23, 2012

Cameron's Prayers

"God speaks in the silence of the heart. Listening is the beginning of prayer."

Wednesday was a busy day.
Woke up to wish our oldest child a very happy 16th birthday!
He's a wonderful son. He even let me put a candle in his waffle.
Then I was off for my Heart Echo and Stress tests.
Tom took me.
I don't do well going to the doctor. I'm kind of a mess.
I was nervous - always am.
Anyways, Tom took Jacob and Cameron to the cafeteria while I did my tests.
The ladies that did my test were great. Very friendly and made me feel very comfortable. I will get the results next week.
While I was doing my test Tom called the pediatrician to make an appointment for our 9 mth old Cameron.
Cameron had had a fever for a couple of days, but acting fine. Then at around 2:00 am Wednesday, his fever went to 104.6. He was crying and couldn't eat.
(I nurse him.) You could tell he wanted to eat, but he just couldn't.
I called the emergency pediatrician number and spoke to a doctor.
He told me I could give a little more medicine, but if the fever went over 105 I should take Cam to the ER. Otherwise, make an appointment for the next day.
The little bit more medicine worked and Cam's fever went down.

Tom told me he got a 2:30 appointment.
We went to the store then went home to hang outside in the
beautiful 80 degrees and wait for Sarah to get home.
While we were outside I heard our phone ring. I went in and whoever had called had hung up. I looked at caller ID and saw that it was our pediatrician's office.
I was hoping there had been a cancellation and we could go earlier so I called them back. The receptionist told me that no one had called that she was aware of. I told her how I had hoped it was for an earlier time, but that we'd be there at 2:30. She put me on hold then came back to tell me that we were not down for an appointment in their office. Our appointment had been made for a different office - one much further away. When Tom couldn't find the phone number, he just redialed the one I had called at 2:30 in the morning. That's the emergency number at night and the other office during the day.
So she said she'd call the other office and cancel for me and she had an appointment with Cam's regular doctor at 1:30.
I think a little angel had made our phone ring.

So we took Cameron to the doctor.
They took a blood sample and a urine sample.
Poor little guy.
The urine was fine, but would be sent for culture.
The blood showed a high white blood count.
The highest normal is 11,000. Cameron's was 27,000.
The doctor sent us to the hospital for more tests.
(I would like to note here...don't google symptoms!!!)
At the hospital, we had an x-ray of Cam's chest done, a nasal swab for viruses, and more blood drawn. I tried very hard not to cry through all of this, but I did lose it a little. Especially when the nurse taking his blood said, "Wow that's high!" when she heard his blood count. She even expressed just how high that was when another nurse came in to help.

We left and picked up an antibiotic for Cameron.
They wanted to start one just in case.
I dropped off Tom and Jakey and Sarah at home.
It was Brandon's birthday so Tom wanted to get the grill started.
We were making Chicago Style Hot Dogs. Yum.
I kept Cam with me and went to Sarah's preschool to her conference.
Sarah is an August baby so we aren't sure if we should hold her back or send her to Kindergarten.
Right before walking in, Cam's doctor called. All tests were negative so far.
I would hear more the next day.

On Thursday, Cam's doctor called me in the morning.
Still nothing, but wanted me to come in the next day to check Cam's white blood count again. He was leaving town, so he updated another doctor.
So today is Friday and I took Cameron in.
All tests came back negative, his fever is gone, and his white blood count is back to normal.
God is good :o)
I believe our prayers were heard and answered quickly.
I think God knows I just couldn't handle anymore.
Now I wait for my results and pray they are good too.

Cameron

No comments:

Post a Comment