Thursday, March 11, 2010

Our Oldest Daughter

"Daughters are like flowers, they fill the world with Beauty."

This week we celebrated the birth of our first daughter, Rachel Ann. Ray-Ray turned 7 on Tuesday. We sang to her in the morning with a candle in her doughnut and gave her her present. She wanted a Nintendo DSi like her brothers. Our "deal" is to either pick a "bigger" present and just celebrate with family - or pick a less expensive gift and have a party with friends. She chose the gift. (We are going to have our priest over for dinner this Saturday so I told her we will make a birthday cake for that evening.) When Tom got home from work, he brought Rachel 7 pink roses. She loves getting her birthday roses from Daddy. Tom gets our girls roses on their birthdays - 1 for each year.
Noah was only 6 months old when I told Tom I thought I was pregnant with our 4th child. I just had this feeling. He said there was no way. So while I was at the store I bought the cheaper store brand. I went home and took the first of two tests. At first - nothing. 10 minutes later, I looked again and there was a positive sign. I read the directions and it said there might be a false sign after 10 minutes. Hmmm. I went to the front door and called to Tom to stop mowing the lawn for a moment. I had something to show him. Tom was very surprised to see the test and the positive sign on it. He smiled and still insisted there was no way. I told him how it didn't change until 10 minutes after so I was going to do the 2nd test in the box. Again, nothing at first, but 10 minutes later - a positive sign. Well...the test had a money back guarantee. The next morning on the way to the zoo, we stopped by the store I had bought the test from. I carried my 6 month old in with me. I went up to the customer service desk and showed them the box from their store brand test. Then I explained how both tests in the box didn't change until after 10 minutes. I pointed out the guarantee on the box - told her the results were unclear and I REALLY needed to know - while showing off Noah to her. She laughed and gave me back my money which I immediately used to purchase a more trusted brand of pregnancy test. Noah and I went back to the car where Tom and our 2 oldest sons were waiting. We started on our way to the zoo and I told Tom I couldn't wait to find out. He pulled into a gas station and I ran in to use the restroom. About 3 minutes later I came out, smiled at Tom, gave him a nod, and we were off to the zoo :o)
When we went to the doctor a few weeks later and had an ultrasound done to see how far along we were - we figured out we got pregnant on Tom's birthday. I remember Tom looked at me and said, "I wonder if God has given me a daughter for my birthday."
With our first 3 children, we found out while pregnant that we were having boys. This time, we decided not to find out. It was kind of fun not knowing. When we were in the delivery room, I really expected another little boy. Tom and I had our friend Nancy with us. (She had been with us at Noah's birth too.) I pushed and when the baby's head came out I heard "Looks like a boy!" And I remember thinking - Yes, that is what I thought. Then another push and I heard "It's a girl!" I will always remember hearing those words for the first time. I felt so much joy at that moment. Of course, I would have loved another son, but I had hoped that someday I would have a daughter too. Plus, we now knew that Tom did get a daughter for his birthday :o)
Rachel Ann certainly has been a wonderful and beautiful gift. It was a little scary to think of having a newborn and a 15 month old at the same time, but Noah loved Rachel right from the start. Brandon and Ethan were very excited to have a little sister too. Noah called Rachel "Baby" for the first 2 years. It was precious. Now being 1 year apart in school, they are very close. Rachel will tell me she saw Noah at school and that she hugged him in the hallway. Noah then says - yeah, and it was embarrassing. But I know he secretly loves it. Rachel sends him notes (they have a "post office" at their school) that say I love you Noah. I miss you Noah. And a couple weeks ago Noah sent Rachel one for the first time. His note said I miss you Rachel and I love you. I really hope and pray that all of our children always stay close. Family is so important. It is such a blessing to have each other.

1 comment: